This is a highly visible position with responsibility to provide results driven leadership
to the purchasing, planning, shipping/receiving, and inventory departments. Key areas of
accountability include hands-on participation in department activities, planning, budgeting,
purchasing, resource management, scheduling, training, supplier network, best practices, quality,
and continued improvement of responsible areas.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Proactively obtain industry trend data and provide timely feedback to Sr. Leadership.
- Provide input and data to support NGP Morton North’s ongoing budgeting and strategic planning process.
- Identify and develop strategic suppliers / partnerships to support NGP Morton North’s business goals.
- Establish departmental goals and objectives that provide world-class materials performance to the organization.
- Establish and track meaningful departmental reports / measurements.
- Analyze reports, measurements and external benchmarks to identify opportunities for continuous improvement.
- Proactively lead the materials team to continuously improve processes and procedures.
- Manage all departmental functions such that goals and objectives are consistently achieved.
- Adhere to company policies, procedures, and ethics codes and ensure that they are communicated and implemented within the department.
- Deliver continuous improvement in supplier delivery, quality and cost.
- Ensure timely receipt of materials to support the production schedule.
- Manage purchase contracts to protect NGP Morton North’s interests.
- Schedule material demands and work order completion dates in system to support production schedule.
- Proactively manage material and work order exceptions and provide feedback to Manufacturing & Project Management on critical information.
- Interface with project managers to establish workflow including release dates, releasing order, dates, and cash flow management.
- Minimize overall inventory value.
- Ensure accuracy of data in system including location, quantity on hand, value, etc.
- Create procedures and reporting for the effective management of inventory.
- Ability to read, analyze, and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, or governmental regulations.
- Ability to write reports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals.
- Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, clients, customers, and the general public.
Shipping & Receiving
- Ensure all customer orders are appropriately packaged and shipped promptly, accurately and with all necessary documentation.
- Ensure all outsource manufacturing is appropriately packaged and shipped promptly, accurately and with all necessary documentation.
- Ensure all materials are received promptly and accurately.
- Fully embrace NGP Morton North’s quality system to identify opportunities and drive continuous improvement.
- Assist the sales department with proposal efforts.
- Perform other duties as assigned to insure the efficiency of the company.
- This job has supervisory responsibilities over such roles as Master Scheduler, Buyers, Purchasing Agents.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty
satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or
ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities
to perform the essential functions.
- Minimum four-year bachelor’s degree from an accredited college in business administration, material
- management, accounting, or similar. APICS certification a huge plus and may be substituted for 2 years’ education.
- 7+ years working experience in a manufacturing environment with extensive experience in purchasing, inventory, planning, supervision, and MRP systems. Experience in a high mix – low volume environment a plus but not required.
- Self-motivated, energetic, dependable, honest, and thorough.
- Strong planning, organizational, analytical, communication, and networking skills are required.
- Team attitude; eager to cooperate with others with exceptional interpersonal communication skills.
- Ability to change direction and handle multiple responsibilities and tasks on a regular basis.
- Ability to positively motivate individuals and teams to meet or exceed project expectations.
- Leadership skills with the ability to effectively delegate work to subordinates, and the ability to evaluate and positively influence performance.
- Exceptionally high level of commitment to the success of individuals and overall projects.
- Management style that complements NGP Morton North’s long standing culture of high integrity throughout all areas of internal and external business activity.
- Willing to put in extra effort and hours as needed.
- Strong mechanical and electrical aptitude.
Ability to read, analyze, and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical
procedures, or governmental regulations. Ability to write reports, business correspondence, and
procedure manuals. Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from
groups of managers, clients, customers, and the general public.
Ability to work with mathematical concepts such as probability and statistical inference, and
fundamentals of plane and solid geometry and trigonometry. Ability to apply concepts such as
fractions, percentages, ratios, and proportions to practical situations.
Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where
only limited standardization exists. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written,
oral, diagram, or schedule form.
Competent with computer software such as SyteLine (or similar MRP system), Microsoft Office,
Microsoft Project, MS Access, Crystal Reports.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee
to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be
made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this Job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. The
employee is frequently required to stand; walk; sit and use hands to finger, handle, or feel. The
employee is occasionally required to reach with hands and arms; climb or balance and stoop, kneel,
crouch, or crawl. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific
vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral
vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee
encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may
be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this Job, the employee is occasionally exposed to moving
mechanical parts; fumes or airborne particles; toxic or caustic chemicals and outside weather
conditions. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
Must meet all company attendance requirements.