The Corp Welding Engineer will provide technical expertise to both Product Development and Plant Production Teams. Responsibilities to include developing welding techniques, procedures, and application of welding equipment to problems involving fabrication of metals, utilizing knowledge of production specifications, properties, and characteristics of metals, metal alloys, and engineering principles.
- Plan, coordinate and execute Continuous Improvement activities and Hoshin/Kaizen events to increase production capabilities of welding cells by coaching assigned project team members in effective problem-solving and project completion.
- Improve existing or develop new welding equipment and Tools/Fixturing
- Establish weld procedures to guide production team relating to specifications/processes
- Conducts research to develop and test new Welding processes and procedures
- Prepares technical reports as a result of research, development and preventative maintenance investigations
- Evaluate new developments in the welding field for possible application to current welding problems or production processes
- Works with quality and safety teams to build safeguards (poke yoke, ergonomics) into the production system eliminating defects and operator injuries.
- Create and release engineering design standards for new fixture designs as needed
- Creates and releases engineering standards for new equipment
- Travel Required: 20-40%
- Ability to set up and troubleshoot robots and Automatic Welders in a production environment
- Ability to identify and root cause technical and product defects in GMAW, TIG, Resistance and laser welding process
- Solid communication skills, written and oral
- Ability to prioritize and multi-task
- Ability to work independently
- Good computer skills with Office applications
- Ability to work cross functionally in a team environment
- Project management skills required
EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE:
- BS in Weld Engineering or equivalent Technical degree is required
- Minimum 10 years of experience in a production environment, preferably with a Tier 1 Automotive or Heavy Truck Component manufacturer
- User level proficiency with GD&T required
- Working knowledge of manufacturing processes preferred (Machining, Tube Bending, Metal Stamping, etc.)